Wednesday, October 1, 2008

whats playing.........



Music seems to be one of the things that bring memories back to me with amazing accuracy. So, say I'm listening to my iPod, and a Regine Velasquez's song comes up. I'll automatically press "next" as soon as I can I.D. what song it is. Why? Because, I unconsciously don't want to remember, or deal with the memories that will come flooding back with that song.
You know exactly what I'm talking about, you've experienced it yourself. Whether the memories be those of happiness, sadness, anger, or whatever, you know what I'm talking about. It happens with every emotion imaginable. Say, for example, you and your lover just broke up, and you hear a song on the radio that reminds you of them. What do you do? You either turn the radio off or find a different station, or, you listen to the song and let the memories flood back.
I was listening to Fallin' , and that immediately made me feel down, because when I was repeatedly listening to that song, there were a lot of problems going on in my life. I still listened to the whole song, because those problems no longer plague me. I can't listen to my fave oldies unless I force myself to do so. I was pretty depressed when I listened to these tunes, and the music just helped me stay depressed. I don't want to have to deal with that, so I always skip songs whenever it plays. I guess a song's ability to change your mood depends on the mood you're in when you're listening to the song, and what's currently going on in your life.
As for all the other songs that have no impact on you [other than happiness because you're listening to it], it's only a matter of time. Every song is waiting to be paired with a memory, a distinct emotion, a day in your life. If there was a playlist of my life, I'd have me a nifty set of music to listen to.
I wonder, what happens when you're in your 90's, ready to cough up dust, and you hear a song that reminds you of your 20's? Do you just sit back and reminisce? Do you get caught up now as much as you did back then and let the emotion rock you? I guess that's a question for everybody, right now.
What songs bring back your memories?

1 comment:

JAbbeRedONiON said...

our song...well not really. but it's the song she had me listen when we started. space between by dave matthew's band